The Senior Engineer oversees technical phases of planning and designing a wide variety of projects. The Senior Engineer will be expected to successfully execute appropriate levels of leadership, project management or technical roles. Expectations include staff supervision/management, client management, project administration, budgeting, and/or technical skills. He/she might also concentrate on a particular area of expertise or be a source of senior review for quality control and mentoring of junior level staff. The Senior Engineer is also looked to for guidance by other staff and is expected to provide insight, training and direction as appropriate. Senior Engineers are key to completing quality deliverables on time and within budget. Senior Engineers act as Project Managers, which are key to maintaining healthy client relationships, developing business and successfully delivering quality projects on time. Senior Engineers are also key to ensuring quality of engineering products and will provide review and feedback to staff throughout the company.
WHAT YOU'LL DOESSENTIAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Actively market QK services and pursue new projects from existing and prospective clients• Actively involved with one or more engineering-oriented organization or group with focus on leadership and marketing growth in his/her field• Heavily involved in Business Development meetings and activities to bring in and monitor sales for the company• Will have overall responsibility for the profitability of his/her projects• Responsible for project schedules and timely completion of projects• Serve as primary client contact and supervise and monitor client relationship strategies• Formulate fee estimates, cost estimating, scoping, and marketing strategies for proposed projects• Develops engineering agreements for projects• Oversees contract administration• Works with clients, agencies, team members and QK senior management to assure that tasks are appropriate, and deliverables can be completed on time and within budget• Directs and supervises other staff activities as well as monitor workload using Deltek software and company adopted procedures• Works with other teams, groups, and/or offices to assure that expert staff are consulted when appropriate for a project concern/issue• Develops probable construction costs estimates for projects• Attends client meetings and associated agency meetings (including city council, county planning and zoning, etc.)• Acts as District and/or City Engineer for the various Districts and Cities for which we provide on-call engineering services• Responsible for control of work-in-process, ensures accurate client billings, and conducts outstanding accounts receivable and collection efforts on his/her projects• Analyzes reports, maps, survey data, drawings, tests and aerial photographs to plan and design projects• Prepares or directs preparations of reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, environmental impact studies and designs for project• Visits construction sites to monitor progress and other duties per the contract documents.POSITION DESCRIPTION:SENIOR ENGINEER• Serves as on-site project representative• Uses computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents• Prepares applications for funding, permits, and other planning documents• Responsible for completion of QA/QC forms for all deliverables and to encourage Associate/Senior Associate Engineers to prepare the forms and coordinate the schedule with other QA/QC reviewers• Reviews projects list and planned hours for all his/her projects weekly and discuss with other team members, Project Managers, and/or Team/Group Leaders to ensure accuracy of the assigned hours and completion of planned work• Other duties as assigned by other senior engineering professionals, Team/Group Leaders, Branch Managers or CAD Leaders required in order to assist junior staff• Additional duties initiated by the Senior Engineer themselves in order to maximize success of the engineering group, the client, and/or QK
WHO WE NEEDESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Ability to apply complex mathematical equations to practical situations• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions• Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables• Proficient with AutoCAD, other CAD programs, Deltek and Microsoft Office suite• Ability to work well with others (as a team member) and alone• Ability to handle pressures related to internal and external project and proposal delivery schedule• Ability to lead, supervise, and mentor others on a team or within a department when in a leadership capacity• Visual acuity and ability to communicate well, in writing and verbally, with other staff, clients, and agencies to accomplish team goals.• Ability to sit or stand for long periods and walk on uneven surfaces to conduct site visits• A current driver’s license and good driving record may be required if employee will be making field visits and/or meeting with clients outside the company’s office
PREFERRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Desire to be helpful to internal and external clients• Ability to create strong relationships in a mentoring capacity• Proven ability to successfully work against a deadline and within constrained budgets• Strong critical thinking skills that allow for quick problem solving and innovative solutions• Proven ability to motivate others• Ability to teach junior staff both agency and company standardsThe Senior Engineer takes a lead on projects and will have to develop relationships with staff in various disciplines in order to achieve the end goal of delivering a quality product. The Senior Engineer reports to an assigned Group Leader or Branch Manager. Senior Engineers are expected work with all engineering staff throughout the entire company and develop strong working relationships with Group and/or Technical Leaders throughout the company in order to meet our “One Company” vision. Those holding this position are also expected to provide mentorship to junior staff and insight to the Senior Management Team and Branch Managers.
• Demonstrated ability to provide constructive feedback in a positive and productive manner• Proven ability to communicate complex technical ideas and concepts to non-technical people effectively• Continuing knowledge of advances in the civil engineering as well as changes in geographical markets, and local laws and regulations
• Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from an accredited four-year college or university and minimum of eight (8) years’ post-graduate experience or the equivalent thereof.• License or registration as Professional Engineer, in the State of CaliforniaEXPERIENCE• Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience as Senior Associate Engineer (ten (10) years’ experience post-PE) or the equivalent thereof• Extensive experience in teaching, training, motivating and/or leading other engineering staff• Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in marketing, proposal writing and/or other related business development tasks preferred