The Department of Public Works is a team-oriented and progressive organization seeking an enthusiastic and talented individual to fill a senior level engineering position in the Transportation Engineering Division. The Senior Transportation Engineer will lead in the planning, design, administration, management and delivery of a wide range of projects and programs.
The Department of Public Works has a staff of over 400 who provide quality service to protect the health and welfare of the public and preserve the County’s infrastructure investments. The Department is comprised of dedicated engineering teams entrusted to provide critical support and ensure resiliency for the County’s infrastructure. Many of our award-winning infrastructure projects have been recognized at the state and national levels. We continuously strive to transform processes and technology, enhance fiscal transparency and accountability, and invest in staff development and partnerships with members of our community and industry.
Supervises and directs subordinate engineering, administrative and technical personnel in the planning, development, design and construction of a variety of public works projects and programs.
• Reviews and approves plans, specifications, and cost estimates for a variety of construction projects; plans and conducts feasibility studies for a variety of projects including water, flood control, drainage, traffic, road, and bridge projects.
• Consults with management and administration regarding the establishment of engineering policies and procedures in the department and for the County; recommends establishment of division policies, procedures, training and related activities.
• Confers with, advises and supervises engineers in charge of projects; supervises enforcement of contractual obligations; coordinates a variety of Public Works projects with other agencies.
• Gives technical engineering advice and may confer with other County officials, department heads, colleagues and contractors as directed.
• Represents the department and acts as liaison with other governmental agencies, contractors, and the public regarding general engineering matters and problems; may attend Planning Commission or other meetings.
• Prepares ordinances and resolutions regarding Public Works functions for action by the Board of Supervisors.
• Assists in the preparation and administration of department budgets, as assigned.
Either I Experience: Two years as an Engineer IV in San Joaquin County.
Or II Experience: Two years of experience as either a Registered Civil Engineer or Traffic Engineer in an organization performing diversified public works activities.
And Education: Graduation with a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or closely related field from a college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology.
Licenses & Certificates: (1) Possession of a valid certificate of registration as a Traffic Engineer or a Civil Engineer, issued by the California Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists; and, (2) Possession of a valid California Driver’s License.