Assoc Statistical Analyst - Biomedical Informatics
The Hughey Lab is seeking an Associate Statistical Analyst to join our team. The successful applicant will contribute to the research directions and culture of the lab. We're looking for someone who is eager to improve and not afraid to make mistakes.
Responsibilities will include:
* developing and applying computational methods to analyze biomedical data
* using knowledge of statistics and biology to draw rigorous conclusions
* communicating findings through written reports and oral presentations
* collaborating on research projects with other lab members
* taking initiative to acquire new knowledge and skills as needed
**The focus of the lab is on using computation to understand biological systems relevant to human health and disease. The computational tools we develop are designed for various types of biomedical data, including genomic data and electronic health records. We are particularly interested in the circadian system, the network of internal clocks that drives daily rhythms in our physiology and behavior. The lab is part of the Department of Biomedical Informatics, the Department of Biological Sciences, and the Vanderbilt Center for Precision Medicine. For more information, visit https://hugheylab.org. **
Experience with and knowledge of:
* Programming in R, Python, Matlab, or a similar language
* Relational databases such as MySQL or Postgres
* Version control using Git and GitHub
* Unix-like environments and command line
* Statistics and machine learning
TECHNICAL CAPABILITIES: STATISTICAL ANALYSIS (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully apply statistical concepts in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments. Has retained equivalent knowledge from past experience. DATA MINING (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Knowledge of data mining and data base environment and data base access tools. Has had training in building data models. Is able to assemble the relevant data for successful data mining DATA MODELING (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Has some training, exposure, or light experience in data modeling. Has at least a conceptual understanding of logical and physical data modeling. Has acquired a practical understanding of the approaches, methods, and tools of data modeling. METADATA ANALYSIS (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Has some training, exposure, or light experience in data analysis. Assumes responsibility for routine and entry-level client analytical work. Knowledge of various reporting analytic tools, such as ACL, SQL, SAS, etc.
* Bachelors (or equivalent experience) and <1 years experience (** preference in previous experience in computational research, data science, programming, software development, or similarv **)
* Day Shift/Exempt Position
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
* Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
* Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
* The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
* National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014
* Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
* Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
* American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US