The Federal-aid Engineer manages Federal-aid design projects and contracts. The position assists Local Highway Jurisdictions (LHJs) in selecting and managing project consultants. This position reports to the Federal-aid Manager but has some discretion to carry out the functions of the job. This position is working as part of a team of Federal-aid Engineers overseeing multiple projects for local jurisdictions. The Federal-aid Engineer will manage engineering consultants through the development of project plans, specifications, and estimates to federal standards.
• Assists LHJ’s in preparing projects and contracts for submission for federal funding participation in accordance with Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) design standards;
• Reviews and scores LHJ project applications being proposed for federal funding;
• Assists Federal-aid team and LHJ’s in selecting and managing project design consultants;
• Reviews and recommends approval of various project submittals including Charter/Concept, Design Study Report, hydraulic, and geotechnical reports;
• Reviews and approves property acquisition and right-of-way documents to ensure compliance with federal funding requirements;
• Reviews project plans, specifications, and cost estimates;
• Attends plan review meetings with sponsors, consultants, and other LHTAC staff at different phases of design;
• Attends and oversees pre-design meetings with consultants, local agencies, federal, state, and the public;
• Initiates project contracts and consultant agreements, coordinating between LHJ and ITD ensuring agreements are complete;
• Negotiates man-hours and fees with design consultants and sub-consultants;
• Reviews design consultant invoices and recommends approval;
• Prepares supplemental agreement documents and negotiations;
• Prepares ITD forms that accompany all agreements;
• Assist in the review of RFI’s, RFP’s, scope of work, and consultant submittals;
• Prepares letters and memos;
• Acts as liaison between the consultants, sponsors, and state and federal agencies;
• Assists in interpreting standards and project specifications for the consultant;
• Analyze and create engineering documents giving direction to the consultant;
• Applies project management skills by creating and maintaining records, logs, documents, and a database of project progress through completion;
• Processes project design closeouts;
• Educates LHJs on federal and state highway design processes;
• Provide technical assistance to local highway jurisdictions.
• Assists LHTAC Federal-aid Manager in reviewing consultants and making recommendations on future contracts;
• Attends trainings to maintain knowledge of industry standards, new technologies, and updated procedures;
• Supports other LHTAC co-workers with design information to ensure funding, constructability, and standards are met on all projects;
• Reviews project files held by design consultants to ensure that all federal-aid standards are being met.
• Support design consultants in interpretations of state and federal requirements;
• Other duties as assigned;
• Performs all duties according to LHTAC policies and procedures.
Education & Experience