Postdoctoral Fellow Position at the UAB - Circuits and Systems Neuroscience Research
The Niwa laboratory in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurobiology at the UAB is seeking a creative and motivated postdoctoral fellow.
We aim to investigate how psychosocial stress affects behaviors via altered neuronal function and connectivity in brain. The ultimate goal of the laboratory’s research is to understand the biological mechanisms by which the endocrine system controls the developmental trajectory of brain and behavior. By combining mouse behavioral assays, in vivo monitoring of neuronal activities in awake mice, optogenetic/chemogenetic modulation of neuronal activities, neural circuit tracing, and epigenetic/gene expression analysis, we plan to unravel the underlying mechanisms from the molecular and cellular to the circuitry and behavioral levels.
The Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurobiology offers a strong supportive research environment in both laboratory and clinical settings. Research resources are enriched through the Neuroscience community at UAB.
The post-doctoral fellow will be encouraged to develop her/his own research within the overall goal of the laboratory: understanding of neurobiology underlying stress-related disorders. The fellow will also have an opportunity to take part in the highly interactive scientific community at the UAB.
1) Candidates must have a doctoral level degree (M.D. and/or Ph.D.) in neurobiology, neuroscience, neuropsychophrmacology, biomedical engineering, system biology, molecular biology, or a related field.
2) Preferences will be given to creative and motivated candidates with experience in rodent behavioral assessments, optogenetics, electrophysiological and/or in vivo imaging methods, but highly motivated candidates with alternate experience are also encouraged to apply.
3) The ideal postdoctoral candidate will be dedicated to basic research with strong analytical and communication skills. The fellow is expected to collaborate with colleagues inside and outside the laboratory.
Start date: January 2019 and later.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with UAB and National Institute of Health guidelines for postdoctoral researchers.
Interested individuals should contact Minae Niwa, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly and provide the following documents in sequence in one PDF:
1) Curriculum vitae.
2) A brief summary of past and future research interests, and career goals.
3) Contact information for at least two references.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Minae Niwa, Ph.D.