The professionals at the National Security Agency (NSA) have one common goal: to protect our nation. The mission requires a strong offense and a steadfast defense. The offense collects, processes and disseminates intelligence information derived from foreign signals for intelligence and counterintelligence purposes. The defense prevents adversaries from gaining access to sensitive classified national security information.
The NSA's Research Directorate conducts world-class scientific research and makes advances in cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation's core defense/intelligence services and systems. Our researchers are subject matter experts, consultants, inventors, collaborators, and visionaries. Some of our research facilities include a cleanroom with nano and microelectronic fabrication capabilities, RF and photonic high speed characterization tools, 3D fabrication equipment, and cryogenic test fixtures in modern low-vibration laboratories.
The NSA is located in the Washington DC Metropolitan area. Home to many commercial collaborators, universities, government laboratories, and sponsors, the D.C. Metropolitan area is not only a great place to live, but an ideal place for a young scientist/researcher to launch a career.
The NSA currently has opportunities for highly motivated Engineering and Physical Sciences Researchers to provide expertise, guidance and support to the development and implementation of mission capabilities that align with mission driven challenges. Individuals in this positions are responsible for:
Ideal candidates are those with a desire for continual learning and possess strong problem-solving and communication skills. The successful candidate will demonstrate expertise in one or more of the following technical areas:
- Discovery, Understanding, and Optimization of Novel High Performance Computing (HPC) Systems: Research areas include architecture design and application development, system software development for HPC, development of large-scale data analytics applications using HPC/GPU systems or techniques, development of interconnects for HPC systems, energy optimization of HPC systems, and modeling and simulation of various pieces of HPC systems.
- Neuromorphic Computer/Machine Learning Applications
- Integrated Photonics: Research goals will include the fabrication of devices and integrated photonic systems suitable for application in high speed interconnect solutions, beyond Moore's computing, novel sensor systems, and photonic communications.
- High Speed Fiber Optics and Photonics: Research goals will include the study and prototyping of high speed fiber optic systems and photonic communication systems including advanced wavelength and spatial multiplexing techniques.
- Discovery, Understanding, and Optimization of Novel Functional Materials: Research goals will include the identification of device properties suitable for application in emerging memory, photonics, stacking and logic devices. Likely physical properties under study would include electron spin, magnetization, strain/phase, molecular confirmation, optical emission / absorption, etc. of various materials.
- Cryogenic Device Test and Evaluation: Research goals will include the testing of devices at cryogenic temperatures and the design and fabrication of cryogenic test rigs to measure the dissipated energy from devices designed to operate at 4 Kelvin.
- Electromagnetic Systems and Novel Antenna Design: Research goals include the development and prototyping of novel antenna structures including 3D printed structures and advanced array development.
- Microelectronics Fabrication: Fabricate CMOS, III-V, and/or photonic devices using in-house and foundry fabrication services. Must have cleanroom fabrication experience (lithography, dry etching, etc.). Familiarity with the use of novel physical layer techniques for providing innate mechanisms that enable TRUST in hardware components and systems throughout the Supply Chain lifecycle.
- Microelectronic circuit and/ or system design engineering. Possess familiarity with one, or more commercially available design CAD tools.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
On-the job training, Internal NSA courses, and external training will be made available based on the need and experience of the selectee.
Monday - Friday, with basic 8hr/day work requirements between 0600 to 1800 (flexible).
How To Apply - External
To apply for this position, please click the 'Apply Now' button located at the top or bottom of this page. After completing the application and clicking the 'Submit Final' button, you will receive a confirmation email. Emails regarding your application status will be sent periodically. Please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept emails from email@example.com.
U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. Reasonable accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
Please note that you will be asked a series of questions and your responses will be used as part of the screening process of your application. Your responses will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet the qualifications for the position will be contacted to begin employment processing.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.
Salary Range: $80,445 - $107,140 (Full Performance)
*The qualifications listed are the minimum acceptable to be considered for the position. Salary offers are based on candidates' education level and years of experience relevant to the position and also take into account information provided by the hiring manager/organization regarding the work level for the position.
With a degree in professional Engineering, entry is with a Bachelor's degree plus 3 years of relevant experience, or a Master's degree plus 1 year of relevant experience, or a Doctoral degree and no experience.
With a degree in either (1) Physics or Astronomy from an accredited college or university or (2) a relevant professional technical field (e.g. chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, geology), entry is with a Bachelor's degree plus 3 years of relevant experience, or a Master's or Doctoral degree plus 1 year of relevant experience.
For all of the above degrees, if program is not ABET EAC accredited, it must include specified coursework.*
*Specified coursework includes courses in differential and integral calculus and 5 of the following 18 areas: (a) statics or dynamics, (b) strength of materials/stress-strain relationships, (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics, (d) thermodynamics, (e) electromagnetic fields, (f) nature and properties of materials/relating particle and aggregate structure to properties, (g) solid state electronics, (h) microprocessor applications, (i), computer systems, (j) signal processing, (k) digital design, (l) systems and control theory, (m) circuits or generalized circuits, (n) communication systems, (o) power systems, (p) computer networks, (q) software development, (r) Any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, or soil mechanics.
Relevant experience must be performing professional engineering or physical sciences work and/or conducting academic or independent research in a technical field (e.g., mathematics, engineering, cognitive sciences and physical sciences). Experience on polymath projects (requiring multiple skills), technical publications, patent applications, and teaching are preferred.
Salary Range: $96,970 - $148,967 (Senior)
Entry is with a Bachelor's degree plus 7 years of relevant experience, or a Master's degree plus 5 years of relevant experience, or a Doctoral degree plus 3 years of relevant experience.
Degree must be in either (1) professional Engineering, (2) Physics or Astronomy from an accredited college or (3) a relevant professional technical field (e.g. chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, geology).
Salary Range: $134,789 - $164,200 (Expert)
Entry is with a Bachelor's degree plus 10 years of relevant experience, or a Master's degree plus 8 years of relevant experience, or a Doctoral degree plus 6 years of relevant experience.