Ever-Green Energy is a recognized leader in energy conservation and the use of renewable energy. Our mission is to develop, own, and operate efficient energy systems that benefit our customers, communities and the environment. This is an exciting opportunity to join an exceptional company as Director of Production.POSITION: Director of ProductionLOCATION: St. Paul, MN PURPOSE: Plan, supervise and direct the plant personnel to achieve safe, reliable, and efficient operation of heating and cooling and electric production facilities. Identify and implement procedures and processes to ensure operational consistency and good operating practices. With the assistance of the Plant Superintendent and Maintenance Supervisor, supervise operations personnel and maintenance department and implement provisions of collective bargaining agreement. Oversee development and implement training (OJT, cross-functional, etc.) for production staff to ensure operational consistency and good operating practices and professional development of staff. Responsible for all aspects of plant operations and maintenance at District Energy and District Cooling production facilities, St. Paul Cogeneration, and Energy Park. Develop the production staff to meet objectives for safety, environmental compliance, reliability, efficiency, labor relations and control of operating expenses. STATUS: ExemptREPORTING STRUCTURE:This position reports directly to the General Manager and has supervisory responsibilities for Controls Group Manager, Plant Manager, and Maintenance Supervisor.RESPONSIBILITIES:1. Responsible to and coordinates with the partnership members for the St. Paul Cogeneration facility. Executes Board priorities and manages day-to-day dealings with partnership representatives.
2. Oversee, develop and direct implementation of operating standards and procedures relating to safety, training, environmental compliance, reliability, efficiency and labor relations for production area.
3. Prepare operations and maintenance budgets and manage those budgets to provide effective fiscal controls.
4. Develop and implement labor relations policies to insure reliable and cost effective plant operations. Participate in labor negotiations as well as the ongoing relationship with the union business agent including resolution of grievances.
5. Maintain plant operations in compliance with all regulations (OSHA, environmental, etc.) including working with the EHS Manager in facilitating necessary annual training and reporting requirements.
6. Monitor plant process effectiveness and identify and implement improvements (i.e. system and emergency operating procedures, training, operations round and routines, confined space, lockout/tagout, etc.)
7. Implement training and procedures to improve operational consistency and effectiveness.
8. Be on 24 hour call and coordinate on-call schedule and qualifications to resolve operational or staffing problems as necessary and communicate to Sr. Vice President - Operations as appropriate when major issues need attention. In absence of Plant Superintendent, ensure responsibilities of the Plant Superintendent are met.
9. Develop and implement plans for improvement of production facilities operation (reliability and efficiency) including modification, addition, or replacement of equipment, and changes in operating processes and procedures. Maintain trends of key performance parameters, disseminate this information as needed throughout the organization, and review the results with production staff.
10. Develop effective regulatory compliance and reporting processes. Implement the requirements of the facilities’ operating permits.
QUALIFICATIONS:To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Education, Experience, and Job Skills:Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in a technical field (mechanical or electrical engineering desirable) with strong technical training in boiler, power production, and chiller operations and related areas plus supervisory training. State of Minnesota Chief A Engineer’s License is desired.
Experience: Demonstrated understanding of steam plant engineering and managerial experience in the operation of solid fuel-fired boilers and chillers and related equipment. A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in supervision of boiler/chiller/generating plant operations as well as experience with managing employees in a bargaining unit. Project management experience desired.Skills: Must be an industrial safety advocate and demonstrate ability to coordinate operations and maintenance activities and set and achieve goals with a high degree of self-initiation and independence. Ability to work well with others, to communicate clearly both orally and in writing, and to direct and train others. Must have familiarity with boiler and chiller equipment and their auxiliaries and with all types of maintenance work including effective preventive and predictive maintenance philosophies. Must have computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet, and plant controls applications. Supervisory Accountability:1. Assigns and directs work of full-time, part-time, and temporary staff as well as contracted service providers and interns. Coordinates staff and schedules to maximize working hours. 2. Effectively recommends hiring, promotion, and transfer of qualified staff in coordination with Human Resources, and determines appropriate training to achieve the desired level of work performance. 3. Defines and explains levels of authority delegated to staff so they may perform their assigned duties effectively. Communicates Ever-Green Energy and team/department policies and procedures and the reasons for them to assure that each employee understands them. 4. Creates a culture that upholds our company values, prioritizes safety, and commits to integrity. Fosters a work environment that encourages staff to perform to the best of their abilities and holds every employee accountable for results. Consults with Human Resources to address performance matters such as discipline (including oral and written warnings or termination) and notable complaints before taking corrective action. 5. Evaluates and communicates on a continuing basis the expected performance level of staff, rewards and recognizes staff, conducts regular reviews of performance, recommends compensation changes, and consults with Human Resources to coach and train staff to improve performance. Responds in a timely manner to employee concerns and addresses grievances in accordance with Ever-Green Energy policy.