Reporting to the Quality Manager, works with occasional supervision and from broad guidelines and objectives, the primary duty of this position is to provide a wide variety of process analysis and process improvement activities to internal and external customers. This position serves as a statistical knowledge resource for the company.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research, develop and revise Quality Policies, Procedures, System Instructions, Engineering Standards and Work Instructions that govern the operations of the Quality Engineering Department and Quality-related activities of the Corporate Office, manufacturing facilities and distribution center.
- Establish and maintain a framework and systems for conducting process capability studies, performing statistical process control, conducting gauge repeatability and reproducibility studies and gauge calibration. Write standards and procedures governing the conduct of these activities including the data to be collected, reporting methods, etc.
- Perform process analysis on machines, equipment and systems to facilitate process improvement. Track process performance and provide feedback to engineering, manufacturing and management
- Provide services to the manufacturing, distribution and suppliers in process improvement to reduce process variation and increase process control.
- Develop procedures and schedules for doing gauging calibration for internal customers in manufacturing, advanced research, the model shop and the technical center.
- Use and maintain database for document control, corrective action, gauging and calibration record system.
- Provide formal and informal training on statistical techniques and continuous improvement tools, such as process analysis, flowcharting, design of experiments and strategic planning, to engineers, buyers, suppliers, etc.
- Conceive, plan, organize and coordinate all passes of assigned special projects to improve efficiencies, simplify workflow and reduce costs.
- Apply statistical methods such as gauge R & R, design of experiments and statistical process control in manufacturing
- Participate in reviewing designs of new products and engineering changes with respect to product quality control/assurance and gauge requirements and recommend changes as required. Isolate and identify critical quality requirements.
- Establish standards to measure process improvement and performance.
- Coordinate the corrective action system used in the corporate office to ensure timely root cause analysis and effective corrective/preventive action.
- Perform process and quality system audits to ensure compliance to specifications and documented procedures.
- Determine acceptance quality levels by means of random sampling techniques, where feasible.
- Maintain a current knowledge of:
- The latest gauging methods, procedures and software and introduce them into the company where appropriate.
- The latest drawing and test specification standards (Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing, etc.).
- Total Quality Management and related trends and philosophies. Maintain a working knowledge of other quality systems such as the Malcolm Baldridge National Quality Award criteria and QS9000.
- The ISO 9000 series of standards and their interpretations.
- The structure and workings of the Milwaukee Quality System and all certifying agency requirements.