Under the general direction of the Director of Public Works, this position is responsible for assisting in the management and direction of the Department of Public Works. This position is responsible for the Department of Public Works in the absence of the Director and also functions as the Director of Engineering. This is professional and administrative work involving the coordination, design and construction of City and Storm Water Utility engineering projects, and in the absence of the Director of Public Works, is responsible for overview of public works operations. This position has direct responsibility for the planning, design and construction of engineering projects, including, but not limited to the construction of storm sewer systems, street and highway construction, and other capital improvements assigned to the division, as well as Traffic Engineering activities. Supervision is exercised over subordinate engineers, and technicians, field crew and clerical support staff.
- Effectively supervises and recommends the hiring, discharge, assignment evaluation, discipline, and adjustment of grievances of subordinate employees.
- Plans and directs the activities of the Engineering Division of the Department of Public Works.
- Furnishes technical advice to various City departments, County, State and Federal agencies.
- Supervises the planning, design and construction of storm sewer systems.
- Works with engineers and technicians in the design and construction of public works infrastructure projects.
- Directs preparation of project chronology, project specifications and bid invitations.
- Directs field and office engineering and construction management of construction projects.
- Reviews and directs the work of engineering consultants for compliance with contracts.
- Recommends approval of plans requiring State agency approval.
- Administers engineering grant-in-aid and capital improvement engineering programs and other contracts.
- Attends meetings and prepares reports for the Common Council, various committees and commissions, and citizen organizations.
- Coordinates division activities with other City departments and agencies, including traffic engineering activities.
- Determines division need and develops division budgets.
- Assists in preparation of the Public Works Department operating and capital improvement budgets.
- Responsible for the Department of Public Works in the absence of the Director.
- Assists in the development of specifications and the purchasing of materials and equipment.
- Responsible for the control of expenses within areas of his/her responsibility.
- Makes recommendations for efficiency enhancements during budget and prepares necessary reports.
- Evaluate and propose administration of department safety programs.
- Facilitate and organize meetings related to the department functions including public, department and team meetings.
NOTE: The duties listed above are intended as illustrations of the various types of work performed by persons in positions covered by this classification specification. This list is not all inclusive. The omission of a particular job duty does not mean that the duty is not one of the essential functions of the position. Management reserves the right to assign employees in this classification to duties not listed above, if the duties are fairly within the scope of responsibilities applicable to the level of work performed by employees in positions covered by this classification specification. This classification specification does not create an employment contract between the City and the employee and is subject to change by the City as the needs of the City and the department change over time.