At the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), creativity and excellence are fundamental to our success. As one of the world’s largest philanthropies, HHMI is a major force in advancing biomedical research and science education.
We have a research specialist position available in the laboratory of HHMI Investigator, Tobias Walther, Ph.D., and Robert V. Farese, Jr, M.D., who jointly run a highly collaborative group at the Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health. The lab is located in the Boston Longwood medical campus and is affiliated with the Department of Genetics and Complex Disease (HSPH), the Department of Cell Biology (Harvard Medical School), the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
The Walther-Farese Laboratory studies membrane and lipid biology. We seek an outstanding individual to establish, maintain and use diverse microscopy techniques as well as biophysical measurements.
The successful applicant will be part of an interdisciplinary team of cell biologists, biochemists and physicists, as we seek to discover and study mechanisms of lipid homeostasis and human metabolic disease.
For additional information, please visit our webpages:
- Implement and manage use of lattice light sheet microscope (training will be provided)
- Manage different types of fluorescence microscopy including spinning disk, epifluorescence and confocal
- Design, perform and analyze microscopy experiments with state of the art technology
- Analyze microscopy data
- Train team members in the use of microscopy
- Establish and maintain an IT framework to support large microscopy datasets
- Develop optical and biophysical instrumentation in collaboration with vendors
- Advance degree in physics or cell biology; will consider B.S. with directly relevant work experience
- Experience with optics or microscopy
- Strong technological skills and familiarity with large datasets
- Outstanding communication skills and ability to work effectively with a diverse team
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, Curriculum Vitae and contact information for three people who could provide references to: email@example.com. Please include the position title in the subject line.