The Regional Transportation Authority (RTA), located in downtown Chicago, is seeking to hire a Director of Capital Programming, Local Planning & Program Management. The RTA is charged with regional financial oversight, funding, and transit planning for the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA), Metra and Pace bus and paratransit. The RTA region serves two million riders each weekday in six counties with 7,200 transit route miles throughout Northeastern Illinois.
Under the general direction of the Sr. Deputy Executive Director, Capital Programming & Planning, the position is responsible for directing and coordinating overall operations of the Capital Programming, Local Planning and Program Management Division. This includes the development and administration of the regional five-year capital program, encompassing the capital programs of the CTA, Metra, and Pace; leads the agency’s local planning work including our Community Planning program; oversees the management of federal funds for the Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities Program or Section 5310 program; and supervises the agency’s administrative grant work. This management-level position is a new position at the agency created with the intent to bring capital programming, program development and implementation, and grants management under the same leadership. The position will have two direct reports and a total team of 11 staff. The successful candidate should possess highly developed information-management and people-management skills with a keen eye towards administrative excellence, efficiency improvements, innovation and collaboration both internally and with external partners.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Direct the development and administration of a five-year capital program for the RTA and Service Boards including 1) outlining information requirements for capital project review; 2) providing guidance to the Service Boards on levels of funding available; 3) reviewing capital project selection to ensure that the region is effectively using resources to serve public transit markets and achieve a state of good repair of transit assets; 4) coordinating the capital program with the regional operating budget and financial plan to create a unified regional business plan that aligns with the region’s strategic plan; and, 5) developing summary reports and communicating information about the program and its status to a variety of audiences.
- Conduct ongoing monitoring and analysis of Service Board implementation of the capital program to ensure projects are advancing, programming and bond holder requirements are followed, budget revisions and amendments are prepared for Board adoption, agency record-keeping systems are kept up-to-date, and grant payment and close-out processes are completed.
- Oversee development, evolution, and coordination of the Community Planning program and management of projects that are underway.
- Oversee activities to assist local municipalities with the implementation of Transit Oriented Development (TOD) plans and zoning modifications.
- Oversee the administration of the Section 5310 and the Innovation, Coordination, and Enhancement (ICE) programs.
- Oversee activities related to the pursuit, receipt, monitoring, reporting, and processing of federal and state grant funds received from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP), the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), and other funding sources.
- Develop reports for and deliver presentations to the RTA Board of Directors, management and staff; counterparts at the Service Boards, local and regional governments and planning bodies and other public transportation related entities.
- Manage and direct the human resources of the division, ensuring high productivity while allocating resources in a cost-efficient manner. Make sound decisions in a timely manner and resolve difficult problems with practical, forward-thinking and effective solutions.