The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
This position requires the ability to climb, bend, twist, carry, stack, push, pull and other efforts requiring considerable physical strength. This position also requires the ability to lift a minimum of fifty (50) pounds, walk, stand, or work for long periods of time, demonstrate normal color perception, hear audible alarms, detect abnormal equipment sounds, visually inspect equipment and processes at any time of the day or night. Employees will be required to wear respiratory protection and other personal protective equipment; perform scaffold, confined space, elevated and underground work. Employees will also be required to pass a vision test, yearly baseline physical and fit test for respirator/Self Contained Breathing Apparatus. While performing the duties of this position, employees are regularly required to use hands to handle, feel or operate equipment.
Environmental Working Requirements:
Work is performed at the plants or in a field environment. This position requires the ability to work in all conditions involving exposure to outside elements and seasonal weather. Work may be performed near open water and systems with hazardous chemicals that are acidic, highly corrosive, heat producing and potentially explosive. Work may be performed in confined spaces, hazardous areas that require respiratory protection and personal protective equipment (PPE), and under slippery and wet conditions.
Level Progression Requirements:
See Engineer Job Progression Chart
Valid Michigan Driver’s License
Ability to work irregular hours, to commute to DWSD facilities and work sites
THE WAY WE WORK
The Employees of DWSD....
- Work and accept responsibility to search for, create and execute new and innovative approaches to improve the performance of DWSD’s services and objectives
- Assist external and internal customers to serve their needs and take responsibility for continuously improving customer service
- Foster meaningful interaction among people through the exchange of information to produce understanding
- Continuously develop and use effective strategies and interpersonal styles to engage and guide others towards the accomplishment of identified objectives and goals in the best interest of the City and community
- Consistently work toward the common good of the organization and encourage others to do the same
- Conduct themselves at all times in a professionally appropriate and respectful manner in accordance with the DWSD Common Behaviors
- Apply the proper safety/security practices according to established protocols, guidelines and policies
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to the class. Incumbents may be required to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Specific job duties may vary from position to position. Employees in this class are required to undergo alcohol and drug screening and are subject to a criminal background investigation.