| Summary |
We are looking for an exceptional polymer or organic chemist to lead and commercialize Research and Development (R+D) projects and programs. Successful incumbent will be able to develop water-based products for the Printing and Packaging BU that will provide a clear competitive advantage for our commercial markets and are engineered to meet the needs of new and existing markets that align with the strategic business plan.
• Research and Development: Conduct R+D of water-based products and commercialize for the Printing and Packaging BU. Design multivariate studies of different formulations of a particular product for use as water-based coatings for use in packaging applications. Source and evaluate new raw materials and product improvements. Develop new products via bench work efforts. Interact with plant and Regulatory Affairs (RA) staff on new product scale-up. Evaluate developed product at customer's site.
• Customer Relationships: Develop and actively maintain external and internal relationships to share knowledge, promote technical leadership, process understanding and material performance. Provide technical assistance to the customers, production, marketing staff and sales
• Support: Develop and maintain intimate knowledge and understanding of product and project histories to participate and lead technical and business discussions. Support other chemists to solve research problems. Participate in business planning activities.
• Regulatory/Compliance: Work with RA team to learn, understand and properly follow policies and procedures that ensure compliance with regulatory agencies. Be knowledgeable of regulatory requirements (FDA, TSCA, International inventories, REACH) to support commercial activities. Actively participate in lab safety.
• Professional Associations: Maintain professional memberships, certifications and relationships.
• Manufacturing and Quality Control: With supply chain, develop and specify manufacturing and quality control procedures for new products. Supervise and implement the First Manufactured Batch process/scale-up trial runs. Assist supply chain as needed, e.g., disposition of obsolete raw material or finished product inventory.
• Business Relationships: Develop and actively maintain high level of focus with suppliers, customers/prospects and industry organizations and embrace focus throughout the organization.
• Design, conduct, (and may direct Assistant in) experiments of significant difficulty and then draw scientific conclusions.
• Monitor long-term stability of products
• Prepare coating substrates at lab bench and roll-to-roll gravure coater for samples for potential customer evaluation
• Analyze results of experimental studies, create reports and technical presentations
• Assist with scale-up from development to production quantities, in collaboration with plant production personnel
• Make broad recommendations with business impact for Michelman.
• Work within the entire Michelman organization to recommend ideas and approaches to current business strategy. Interact with suppliers and customers.
• Selectively participate in Michelman business teams and provide technical recommendations.
• Create, and carry new product families and new product platforms through scale-up and commercialization. Involve customer and supplier education.
• Develop novel products for the industry based on industry requirements.
• Apply broad scientific knowledge to develop novel products.
• Perform related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates.