| The Materials Engineer will produce and test prototype polymer composites utilizing glass and carbon fiber sized with developmental emulsions. They will then build process-structure-property relationships that relate the inherent emulsion properties to the composite performance. This information will then be shared with the chemist developing the emulsion to further enhance the properties of the sizing. A strong background in mechanics, analytical and physical property testing is necessary to assess and model the performance and failure mechanism of the composite. A background in composite manufacturing would also be beneficial. |
This dynamic role will help drive innovation throughout the composites industry by utilizing their materials and interfacial chemistry knowledge to lead efforts for glass and carbon fiber composite prototyping and testing. The right individual will collaborate with research chemists for developing new and novel fiber sizings targeted for improved composites performance. These efforts will help solve some of the most complex of problems related to fiber reinforcement of composites, thermoplastic / thermoset composite performance, fiber / polymer interfacial adhesion, and fiber processing, wetting and matrix orientation. They will use their sound understanding of materials science, mechanical testing, instrumentation, and polymer / fiber interfacial adhesion characterization to orchestrate novel solutions designed by the R&D Team. These solutions will deliver value to the Aerospace, Automotive, Electronics, and Industrial markets. They will have an innate curiosity to understand new composites processing techniques, such as prepregs, RHCM (rapid heating and cooling molding), RIM (reaction injection molding), and other emerging processes. In addition, they will enjoy achieving these goals in a collaborative and fast-paced research environment, with goals and objectives that are aligned with the strategic business plan and Group Industries First Initiatives. Primary Responsibilities
• Live and Promote the Michelman Values
• Research and Development – Independently manage R&D projects, utilizing full DOE to conduct fiber sizing, interfacial adhesion, and materials characterization to drive new opportunities and to commercialize new technologies for the IM Group. Provide expertise in polymer and fiber selection for specific end-use composite applications. Design composite samples for testing that represent commercial applications. Conduct failure analysis and build process-structure-property models to explain and predict product performance, relating the results back to the base / underlying chemistries. Utilize Open Innovation through internal resources, external resources and organizations, and collaboration to drive R&D projects forward.
• Customer Relationships – Develop and maintain internal and external relationships with suppliers, customers, and industry organizations to share knowledge, promote technical leadership, process understanding and materials performance. Provide technical support to our external customers and stakeholders, as well as to internal production, marketing, and sales associates.
• Support – Develop and maintain intimate knowledge and understanding of product and project histories to participate and lead technical and business discussions. Support other chemists and customers to solve their related research problems. Participate in business planning activities. Train new associates and customers in applicable technology areas.
• Regulatory / Compliance – Actively participate in lab safety programs. Work with HE&RA team to learn, understand and properly follow policies and procedures that ensure compliance with regulatory agencies. Be able to communicate regulatory requirements to internal and external customers and stakeholders. Be knowledgeable of regulatory requirements (FDA, TSCA, International inventories, REACH) to support commercial activities and in how they may influence product development activities.
• Financial Objectives – Participate in implementing company-wide and departmental plans to achieve the year-to-year and long-term objectives of the organization, focused on EBITDA growth and EBITDA / assets optimization, ROI, and other metrics. Recommend steps to improve the Group and departmental impact on EBITDA and other financials.
• Other: Perform other related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates