EKPC Company Information
| || |
East Kentucky Power Cooperative is an electric generation and transmission company headquartered in Winchester, KY, just 15 minutes east of Lexington. We also have facilities across the state of Kentucky that generate electric power and service centers for local power lines and substations support.
EKPC offers a wage and benefits package that ranks among the best in the state. EKPC provides a 401(k) retirement plan; a medical and dental plan; competitive vacation package; and a professional work environment.
EKPC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veteran
| Key Roles || |
| || |
To provide and perform expert engineering services for the capital improvement and maintenance of generation assets of EKPC. To successfully manage projects in a safe, timely and cost effective manner. Serves as a technical representative of EKPC in a variety of public and corporate settings.
| Key Responsibilities || |
| || |
- Responsible for developing reports and work plans which recommend action considering short- and long-range objectives, economic and budget considerations, etc.
- Responsible for the training and development of other less experienced engineers.
- Develops and coordinates individual project work plans and manages through completion taking needed corrective action. Informs Supervisor and Department Manager of any major developments or changes in direction of the project.
- Responsible for being knowledgeable of all Departmental, Divisional and Cooperative goals and developing projects that will aid in their achievement.
- Maintains awareness of all relevant RUS procedures, specifications, NEMA, NEC, NESC, ANSI, IEEE, etc., applicable standards.
- Maintains technical expertise and awareness of field by staying abreast of the industry.
- Initiates status report for all assigned projects and keeps Management informed on progress.
- Assists in preparing monthly and weekly status reports for the section.
- Manages multiple projects including the preparation of job status reports on projects for review.
- Collaborates on the preparation of work plans and monitors actual progress of applicable portions, taking any corrective action required.
- Organizes and sponsors training sessions and seminars for Engineer Technicians, construction crews, and other Engineers.
- Prepares work order estimates.
- Prepares cost estimates on certain projects for submittal to Accounting and Planning Departments.
- Prepares construction specifications and contracts.
- Creates corporate standards and specification related to respective expertise.
- Technical representative for department in meetings with public businesses, members, vendors, contractors, and other utilities.
- Provides engineering support for Members and Cooperatives, at large.
- Develops written testimony and provides oral testimony in legal and regulatory settings as required.
- Requires mature engineering knowledge and judgment of sound engineering practices and standards.
- Maintains drawings and files concerning department projects.
- Maintains awareness of all relevant RUS procedures, specifications, and applicable standards.
- Analyzes test data, operating data, and practices; recommends plant/facility improvements based on these analyses. Designs plant/facility improvements in accordance with prudent engineering practices and EKPC objectives.
- Prepares equipment and construction specifications; evaluates bids; recommends bidders.
- Directs and coordinates contractor or staff on project-related work; certifies completed work; recommends final acceptance of the project.
- Monitors the project during start-up and recommends modifications necessary to support project success.
- Assists with the development, and performs engineering as a function of plant/facility betterment. Inspects plants/facilities, reviews actual work accomplished compared to the plan. Makes recommendations for plant/facility changes to increase efficiency.
- Assists with planning, testing, collecting, and evaluating of data on plant/facility performance. Evaluates results of testing program and recommends improvements.
- Performs and evaluates testing procedures and results from testing on new and existing plant/facility equipment.
- Assists with the development, and recommends computer systems and programs dealing with increasing plant/facility performance.
- Works in conjunction with others by providing engineering services to plan and coordinate procedures for reviewing specifications and system interrelationships for all planned generating facilities.
- Accumulates, analyzes, and reports to appropriate department personnel information concerning industry operations, laws, and regulations.
- Reviews specifications, reviews work orders and prepares economic studies in order to achieve desired plant/facility efficiency and reliability
- Performs other duties as required or assigned
System Protection and Control - PRODUCTION
- Provides technical assistance/support for system protection and power engineering to Generation Production.
- Prepares construction, equipment, and material specification and provides project management for protection and control projects in Generation Production.
- Investigates and develops new technologies and ideas in system protection in order to improve reliability.
- Develops and/or applies new technologies to production facilities to achieve an acceptable level of power quality.
- Provides all NERC / SERC compliance support related to system protection standards (PRC standards) and SERC.
- Develops and works with digital computer programs as needed (fault/relay coordination studies, loss evaluations, digital fault record analysis, relay setting database management).
- Designs electrical one-line, three-line, relaying schematics, cabling requirements, and layout drawings for production facilities.
- Provides protective relay settings as required for new facilities and upgrades. Modifies existing relay settings as required to re-establish proper coordination.
- Investigates and provides mitigation support for mis-operations.
- Performs generation coordination studies to determine proper system protection and coordination of our Generation Production plant facilities.
- Performs routine and area coordination studies for system facilities upgrades.
- Performs analysis of system disturbances and mis-operations to determine proper operation of the protection scheme.
- Provides emergency technical support/callout, when required, during system outages/events.
- Designs and manages the installation of facility replacements and upgrades (breaker, transformer, various protection system upgrades and fault recorder installations).
- Advises, coordinates and works together with Transmission System Protection group, Relay technicians, Substation technicians, SCADA/Meter technicians and Communications technicians for company-wide system coordination, to develop and maintain adequate training standards and work procedures related to protection and control systems.
- Coordinates control system field testing (phasing tests, directional tests, SCADA tests, functional tests, and continuity tests) for all production facilities.
- Develops bidding documents, evaluates, and establishes low bidder on production equipment. This would also include reviewing vendor drawings.
- Maintains and coordinates contracts with equipment/material suppliers and monitors progress, expediting as required to meet schedules.
- Monitors and assesses protective system performance.