The University of Connecticut invites applications for the position of Technical Director in our Brain Imaging Research Center (BIRC). This is a full-time, 11-month, non-tenure track, end-date position with a high possibility of renewal. UConn has embarked on an ambitious program of faculty and student growth, including growing its cognitive neuroscience community. In support, UConn has opened the 3,200 square foot, research-dedicated Brain Imaging Research Center housing a Siemens Prisma 3 Tesla scanner. The primary focus of the center is cognitive neuroscience research using functional MRI (fMRI). However, the scanner is also used for structural MRI, diffusion tensor imaging, simultaneous EEG, and magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS), and it supports cardiovascular and musculoskeletal imaging research. Facilities are suitable for scanning individuals from infancy to elderly adults, as well as clinical populations.
The Technical Director (with rank of Research Assistant III or Research Associate I) will be responsible for the development and maintenance of the Center’s scientific and information technology and will contribute to the Center’s day-to-day operation. The Technical Director will:
- Oversee, coordinate, and manage the technological aspects of MRI imaging process, including scan sequence programming and data acquisition, storage, and analysis.
- Maintain data systems (Linux, Mac), databases (MySQL), and software across data processing computers and data storage servers (PACS, scheduling, safety training).
- Oversee the management of imaging hardware (scanner, console, software) and peripheral devices (response boxes, physiological recording equipment, eye tracker, etc.) Maintain the lab and equipment and ensure everything is in proper working order; troubleshoot problems with equipment, obtaining repairs/maintenance as necessary. Provide similar expertise, maintenance and support for other BIRC instruments, such as EEG, TMS, and tDCS.
- Consult with researchers regarding the collection and analysis of data using BIRC’s scientific equipment.
- Establish and maintain procedures related to data quality assurance.
- Teach student and faculty researchers to become competent users of equipment
- Establish and maintain operational procedures.
- Ensure and maintain required documentation for compliance with safety, environmental and infection control standards, and with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Organize and direct the maintenance of facilities, equipment, supplies and materials.
- Maintain careful records of all work performed.
- Maintain a certification in First Aid and CPR