Clemson University: College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences: Agricultural Sciences
Dept Chair/Head- Agricultural Sciences
Location: McAdams Hall
The Department of Agricultural Sciences within the College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Life Sciences at Clemson University invites applications for the position of Professor and Chair.
Come lead a group of energetic, dedicated and innovative faculty at a Top-25 public university. We are a Land Grant institution designated as a “high research activity” university with strong community engagement. Clemson has over 24,000 students in over 180 degree programs. Located in the Upstate of South Carolina, the city of Clemson provides a small college-town setting on the shores of Lake Hartwell, near both the scenic foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the metropolitan areas of Greenville-Spartanburg, SC, Asheville and Charlotte, NC, and Atlanta, GA. The University is also home to the South Carolina State Botanical Garden and the 17,500 acre Clemson Experimental Forest.
This leadership role will provide an opportunity to foster continued growth in the Agricultural Sciences Department, which consists of award winning faculty in teaching, research and Extension offering degrees in Agribusiness, Agricultural Education, and Agricultural Mechanization & Business. Faculty are uniquely distributed at research and education centers throughout the state, providing opportunities for student engagement, collaborative research and public service. Our faculty, staff and students contribute to a $41.7B agricultural industry, making it the largest economic sector in South Carolina. Over the past three years, our Department has increased enrollment by 33%, to approximately 400 undergraduate and graduate students with near 100% career placement.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
The department chair will provide effective leadership in order to maintain and advance strong teaching, research and outreach programs; recruit and evaluate faculty and staff; foster strong working relations with agricultural industries and key constituency groups. The successful candidate will possess a solid vision and strategy to strengthen our research, teaching, and Extension missions. The Chair will assist in the promotion and guidance of new initiatives in a multidisciplinary department.
The successful candidate will possess:
- A PhD in Agricultural/Applied Economics, Agricultural Education, Agricultural Engineering, or related discipline with a robust record of scholarly achievement and professional activities related to teaching, research, and/or Extension that will qualify eligibility to hold the rank of tenured full professor within the university is required of all candidates.
- Strong administrative, interpersonal, communication, personnel management and consensus building skills, and possess the ability to work effectively with a wide range of groups and individuals, including but not limited to, industry, university administration, government agencies, constituency groups, and/or other academic departments including alumni, students, and parents.
- Demonstrated ability to lead interdisciplinary, grant-funded projects and applied research within all areas of the departmental strategic plan.
- Strong knowledge and insight of the mission of a Land Grant University with the ability to lead and manage a multidisciplinary academic department engaged in teaching, research, and Extension pursuits with faculty on and off campus.
- Commitment and vision to assist with aligning the departmental strategic plan, goals and efforts with the goals and priorities of the Clemson Forward Plan.
- A commitment and strategy to integrate diversity into the Agricultural Sciences Department and represented programs and curricula.
Application Procedure: Please submit: (1) a letter of interest with applicant's contact information; (2) contact information for three references (3) a statement of administrative philosophy and development strategies and vision for their role as chair; (4) an unofficial transcript from all degree-granting institutions(BS, MS, Ph.D.); and (5) a CV to Interfolio. Applicants may request that their candidacy remain confidential during the review process. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by March 1, 2017. Review of materials will begin subsequently and continue until position is filled.
The position of Professor and Chair in the Agricultural Sciences Department is available March 1, 2017 or as negotiated by the successful candidates requested needs.
For additional information, please contact the Search Committee Chair found below.
Dr. Calvin Sawyer
243 McAdams Hall
Clemson, SC 29634
Clemson University is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against any person or group on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, pregnancy, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information. Clemson University is building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and encourages applications from minorities and women.