The Facilities Services Division of the Los Angeles Unified School District is looking for an experienced leader to fill the position of Deputy Director of Facilities Planning and Development. The branch employs approximately 150 employees of varying levels and has the strategic responsibility of the District's facility planning function which includes long range master planning, project development, performance specifications, and construction acquisition programs for new and charter schools, while providing functional direction over areas that include Planning and Design Management, School Management Services, Real Estate, Design Standards, and Relocatable Housing. For more information about the Facilities Services Division, please visit www.laschools.org.
Graduation with a bachelor's degree from a recognized college or university, preferably with a major in architecture, engineering, facilities planning, construction management, or an advanced degree in any subject. An advanced degree in planning, architecture, or real estate is preferred. Courses in asset management, business administration, public relations, accounting, school finance, personnel management, and communications are preferred.
Eight years of executive or administrative experience related to asset management of real property portfolios, including planning and design management of capital improvement programs. The following work experience is preferable:
- Experience with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) and/or Collaborative for High Performing Schools (CHPS) certified projects.
- Experience in public/private ventures involving project development design and construction
Any one of the following is preferable:
- A valid Certificate of Registration as a Professional Engineer by the California State Board of Registration of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, or;
- A valid Certified Planner (AICP) credential by the American Planning Association, or;
- A valid Certificate of Registration as a licensed architect by the California State Board of Architectural Examiners.
- An active California State Bar Card
- A valid California Real Estate Brokers license
A valid California Driver License
Use of an automobile
The ideal candidate will have experience managing and overseeing large, multi-billion dollar municipal and/or public sector projects valued at $1 billion or more. He or she will be knowledgeable in the design and construction of facilities, principles of real property asset management and real estate, and laws, regulations, and processes regarding governmental/public property acquisition, leasing, and disposition. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate the ability to lead, prioritize, and budget a variety of facilities programs and projects for maximum efficiency and cost effectiveness.