As a member of the Transportation Engineering Section in the Public Works Department, the Senior Transportation Engineer provides leadership and supervision for City programs related to: traffic safety, active transportation, local planning and development, and regional transportation. The Transportation Engineering team includes 11 full-time staff members and is further supported by consultants, contractors, and student interns.
The Senior Transportation Engineer plays a key role in implementing Fremont’s General Plan vision to be “a national model of how an auto-oriented suburb can evolve into a sustainable, strategically urban, modern city.” Specific City goals and current projects include transforming Fremont’s transportation corridors into “complete streets” that are safe and convenient for all travel modes, reducing the number of vehicle miles traveled, implementing a bold bicycle master plan, and continuing the success of Fremont’s “Vision Zero” traffic safety improvement program.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Leads and supervises staff, including assigning and scheduling work, establishing work priorities, evaluating performance, providing recognition, and facilitating staff training and development Assists in the development, implementation, and management of the City’s transportation standards, plans, policies, programs and projects. Coordinates updates to transportation element of the General Plan. Ensures consistency with regional, state and federal laws. Monitors best practices within transportation profession.
• Supervises a traffic safety program to identify high crash locations and unsafe behaviors, and recommends measures to improve safety. Works proactively with Police Department and other stakeholders on efforts related to enforcement, education, and policy. Supervises the active transportation program and the implementation of the City’s Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plans, which include the installation of enhanced pedestrian crossings and separated and protected bike infrastructure. Supervises the preparation of master plans, traffic studies, geometric design plans, contract drawings, and specifications for transportation infrastructure and system improvements.
• Coordinates with other jurisdictions on regional transportation issues and develops partnerships to support the City’s goals and resolve problems. Assists in the planning activities, environmental and design plan review, and construction coordination for regional transportation projects. May represent the City at various meetings and conferences, including preparing and delivering presentations
• Reviews, coordinates, or supervises the review of studies which evaluate the impact of new development. Recommends appropriate mitigation to address impacts and improve multimodal transportation system.
• Assists in the selection and direction of consultants, including contract negotiation, preparation, and administration.
• Prepares clear and concise written and verbal reports to the City Manager’s Office and City Council. Pursues and prepares outside funding and grant applications.
• Participates as a member of the overall City and Department management team. Upholds the values of the organization, has a strong customer service orientation, and assists with making a direct contribution to community’s quality of life.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE AND QUALIFICATIONS
READY TO APPLY?
You may view the full job announcement and apply online by submitting a completed City application, resume and letter of interest through our online application system: www.fremont.gov/cityjobs
The first review of applications is 12 Noon on October 20, 2017. Apply Today!